The Nigerian literary space is buzzing with lots of competitions and opportunities with cash prizes. Here are three we think you should check out!
1] THE CRATER LIBRARY/ISERVE2050 POETRY CONTEST
This was initiated, following the celebration of the International Women’s Day 2019, themed Balance For Better.
Thus, iserve 2050, in collaboration with the Crater Library et Publisher and the Enugu Literary Society calls for submission of poems to celebrate women.
Prize For Winning Entry: N50,000
• Poem must be an unpublished work (print or online)
• Only one entry is allowed.
• Simultaneous submissions are not considered i.e work that is being considered else where.
• Kindly place your name, and phone number at the foot of the page to enable tracking.
• Please indicate “POETRY SUBMISSION” on your subject line. Submission not indicateed as stated will be deleted as unread.
Kindly forward submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition closes 20TH March, 2019, 11:30pm WAT.
In Commemoration with the women’s history month, the winner shall be announced on the 31st March, 2019.
2] THE INSPIRE US CONTEST
The Inspire Us Contest is calling West African writers to submit stories around the theme of empowering women. Organized by Worldreader, this contest will select and digitally publish 10 stories as part of the Inspire Us Collection.
The goal of this collection of stories is to positively influence gender social norms and stereotypes across West Africa and inspire young women and girls with stories of women’s empowerment.
The grand winner of the Inspire Us Contest receives a prize package of $2000, a non-exclusive digital publishing deal and publicity.
A shortlist of 9 authors will also be selected and awarded a prize package of $100, a non-exclusive digital publishing deal and publicity.
Any inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com.
Submissions will be evaluated on a rolling basis and the top ten winners will be selected on a rolling basis.
Deadline for submissions is 11:59pm GMT on 30th April 2019.
Manuscript Submission Guidelines:
1. All stories must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions will be evaluated on a rolling basis and the top ten winners will be selected on a rolling basis. Writers are encouraged to enter their stories early and not later than 11:59 pm GMT on 30th April, 2019.
2. This contest is looking for creative and original stories that are well written with strong plots, memorable characters and a fresh writing voice. The stories can touch on, but are not limited to, the following:
- Positively influencing gender social norms and changing stereotypes
- Encouraging critical thinking around traditional gender roles
- inspiring women, girls, men and boys with an inclusive narrative that promotes equality between men and women
- portrayal of men and women in different roles from those traditionally assigned in a patriarchal society
- A critical reflection on masculinity and femininity
- A show of support for gender equality by boys and men
- A focus on female role models and telling the story of how they survived challenges and broke stereotypes to become successful
- True or fictional stories about aspects of the life of female role models, dead or alive
3. Entries can either be fiction or nonfiction.
4. All stories must be an original piece of writing – it should not have been published elsewhere or submitted to other competitions.
5. By submitting a manuscript the author attests that it is their own original work and if selected as a winner grants Worldreader the non-exclusive rights to publish the story on Worldreader Mobile.
6. The number of words in a manuscript should range between 3,500 – 8,000 words.
7. Authors can submit up to 3 stories.
8. The contest is open only to West African (ECOWAS) authors. Stories are to be submitted in English.
9. Winners will be announced on 15th August.
10. The contest administrators will disqualify all stories that do not adhere to the submission guidelines.
How to Submit:
Entries must be typed in English and submitted in Microsoft Word format. It should use font Times New Roman with font size 12, double spacing and one inch margins. Do not submit PDFs.
The filename of the document should be saved as the first and last name_ title of the story.
The subject line of the submission email should be “Submission_First and Last Name_Title of Story”.
All manuscripts must have a cover page with the following details:
• Title of story
• Name of author
• Country of residence
• Male or Female (this information is for data purposes and not factored into the jury process)
• Email address
• Telephone number
All entries must be emailed to email@example.com by 11:59pm GMT, not later than 30th April, 2019. Late entries will not be considered.
3] THE SPRINNG LITERARY POETRY CONTEST
This contest is scheduled to span from March 1st – June 15th 2019.
All you have to do is write a simple poem (5-10 lines) of any theme of your choice.
Winning Prize: N25,000 and N10,000 gift card to shop at Rovingheights.
All inquires and submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject of your submission via email must be “SLM 2019 poetry contest: Your full name”
Note: Only Nigerian writers residing in Nigeria are eligible, and only one winner will be selected.
There you go. Don’t sleep on it!
Go make us proud. Win!